Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Funkdown | Leon Haywood

Leon Haywood started his career in the 1960’s in Houston, Texas as a singer/songwriter.  After relocating to Los Angeles he recorded over 20 US R&B singles on Decca Records, Columbia Records, and MCA Records.  His most popular single is “I Wanta Do Something Freaky To You” in 1974 which he recored on 20th Century Records.  The single reached #7 on the R&B chart and #15 on the Pop chart on 1975.  His song “Push It, Don’t Force It” was a Top 40 hit single in the UK in 1980.  Haywood is also credited with writing the 1981 song "She's a Bad Mama Jama" recorded by Carl Carlton. Haywood is considered a one hit wonder by most.  However, his one hit is one of the funkiest songs of all time.  “I Wanta Do Something Freaky To You” is one of the most recognizable funk tracks ever, as it was sampled by Dr. Dre on “Nuthin But A G Thang”.  This was the first time I had ever heard of Leon Haywood.  Although he is improperly cited on the album as L. Hayward, it wasn’t long before we all figured out who he was.  Public Enemy, Bloods & Crips, Redman, Masta Ace, Aaliyah and 50 Cent have also sampled this song.
“I Wanta Do Something Freaky To You” sets the crowd off every time I play it.  I had one dude say to me “Are you really playing Leon Haywood right now?”  Yes my friend I am, and I will continue to play that single until my days of DJing are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment